Surprise-Inside French Toast
- 6 (2 inch thick) slices French bread
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese -- whipped
- 2 tablespoons lowfat cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups egg substitute
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- Cut a pocket in each slice of bread. Open carefully
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, cottage cheese and cream cheese. Add the sugar and flavoring extract and beat until smooth. Spread the mixture evenly into each bread pocket.
- Beat together the egg substitutes and milk. Dip the slices of bread in the egg mixture.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray. Cook the toast on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown.
Note: This French toast is high in sodium, primarily because of the cheeses. For a lower-sodium dish, substitute no-salt cheeses if you can find them. You can also try substituting orange, almond or strawberry extract for the vanilla.
Stuffed French toast with a creamy filling is good paired with a fibrous fruit such as a 1/2 cup fresh raspberries.
Mr Breakfast would like to thank MiniMidgy for this recipe.
Recipe number 914. Submitted 3/29/2003.