Spangly Heart Biscuits
Have medium and small heart-shaped biscuit cutters ready. Lightly grease two baking trays. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- 2 Tablespoons caster sugar
pink food coloring
3 ounces butter - softened
3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
3 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 medium egg
6 ounces all-purpose flour
1) Put the caster sugar in a bowl, add two drops of coloring and stir the sugar until it is pink. Then, spread it out on a plate to dry.
2) Put butter and soft brown sugar into a large bowl. Stir them hard until they are creamy, then stir in the maple syrup.(Add 1 spoonful of maple syrup at a time)
3) Carefully break an egg into a small bowl, then pour it slowly onto a saucer. then put an egg cup over the yolk.
4) Hold the egg cup over the yolk and carefully tip the saucer over the small bowl so that the egg white dribbles in. (Keep the egg white)
5) Add the yolk to the large bowl and mix it in. Sift in the flour and stir it in well, then squeeze the mixture to make a dough.
6) Wrap the dough in plastic food wrap and put it in the fridge to chill for half an hour. While it is in there, heat your oven.
7) Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour. Then, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough until it is about 5mm(1/4in) thick.
8) Use the medium cutter to cut out heart shapes. Then, lift the hearts onto the baking trays with a fish slice.
9) Cut holes in the hearts with the small cutter. Then, make the scraps into a ball, roll them out and cut out more hearts.
10) Using a fork, stir the egg white quickly for a few seconds. brush some onto each biscuit, then sprinkle them with pink sugar.
11) Bake the biscuits for 10-12 minutes, until they start to turn golden brown. Then carefully lift them out of the oven.
12) Leave the biscuits on the baking trays for a few minutes. Then, lift them onto a wire rack and leave them to cool.
For this recipe, you'll need two heart-shaped biscuit cutters - one small and one medium-sized.
Mr Breakfast would like to thank serenawg for this recipe.
Recipe number 2803. Submitted 3/28/2010.