Eggs in Purgatory
1. Preheat a large skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- 2 slices crusty Italian bread
Olive oil or cooking spray
1/2 - 1 cup spaghetti sauce
Romano or Parmesan cheese (optional)
2. Remove the center from each slice of bread, leaving approximately 1 inch of bread and crust all around.
3. Lightly oil skillet or spray with cooking spray. Place bread in skillet, with removed portions on the side.
4. Crack an egg into the center of each bread hollow. Cook for a couple of minutes then carefully flip bread and egg with a spatula. (Turn over the center part of the bread too so that it toasts on both sides.)
5. While eggs are cooking heat up the sauce. When cooked remove egg and bread to a plate and top with sauce and cheese. Pop the toasted center on the side.
Note: While jarred sauce can be used homemade is best. Also, for a heartier breakfast we sometimes brown and drain sausage or pepperoni to add to the sauce. Easily scaled to a bigger crowd.
Mr Breakfast would like to thank pghannie for this recipe.
Recipe number 2294. Submitted 4/6/2008.