Sweet Potato Latkes
Line colander with paper towels; place potatoes and shallots in colander and let stand for 15 minutes. Squeeze out excess moisture.
- 4 cups shredded peeled sweet potato (about 1 lb.)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded peeled baking potato (about 12 oz.)
- 2 shallots grated (or 1/2 cup grated onion)
- 1 slice of white bread (or 1/4 cup bread crumbs)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon butter divided
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil divided
Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse bread crumbs measure about 1/4 cup. Combine potato mixture, shallots, breadcrumbs, flour, sugar, salt, pepper and egg in a bowl. Divide mixture into 8 portions and pat each portion into a 1/4 inch-thick patty.
Melt 1 1/2 teaspoons of butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil to pan. Cook 4 patties in the pan at one time (or as the size of your skillet allows) and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat procedure with remaining butter, oil and patties. Makes 8 patties.
Each patty has 166 cal; 4.1g fat; 3.7g protein; 29g carb; 2.6g fiber; 30mg chol.
Mr Breakfast would like to thank discolover for this recipe.
Recipe number 1869. Submitted 10/26/2006.